Staff Frontend / Product engineer
At smlXL, we’re building the solution to a far richer understanding of the semantics of blockchain activity to make data and information accessible and useful to all. We’re looking to hire our first Full Stack Engineer to play a critical role in crafting our consumer-facing applications. The vision is for you to lead architecture, development, and front-end design of web applications and be an engine for the experimentation, design, and build of Consumer and Enterprise products, solving a vast opportunity and problem space.
Founded in 2021, smlXL is a well-funded (raised $13.4M) Seed startup backed by Greylock, a16z and a long list of incredible angels like Naval Ravikant, Robert Leshner, Elad Gil, and more. smlXL’s vision is driven by our passion to make public computers (blockchains) more accessible and understandable by enabling exploration and discovery.
While we aren’t ready to talk more broadly about what we are working on in this job post, we can share that we are developing a Blockchain Infrastructure service with Consumer and Enterprise applications—and are close to an initial release. Based on what we’re building, we might be a great place to work if you are: fascinated by Information Systems, Semiotics, Search and discovery of information, and Blockchain data. If you are excited by opening black boxes and looking inside; love working on things that add a ton of value to consumers and prosumers alike.
At smlXL, we are a flat and transparent organization focused on less meetings, more autonomy, and more time spent experimenting, deepening knowledge, solving complex problems, and doing interesting, meaningful work. We’re looking for someone who can help us continue raising the bar, who is highly technical, cares deeply about their craft, is constantly learning, and isn’t afraid to experiment or speak up.
As a Frontend/Product Engineer, you’ll:
- Work closely with our Designer and PM to define and build products that you are proud of and users can’t live without
- Experiment with and evaluate different technologies and frameworks. Drive the decision for our frontend techstack (e.g. decide if you want to go extra fancy and build some Wasm app, Dart, React or one of its flavors)
- Collaborate with infra and backend engineering, championing effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
- Create work that inspires the broader engineering community, fellow team members, and our (future) users
- Build and better the team, leaving ego aside. Help us attract and mentor talent that is/can be even better than yourself and help them grow to their full potential.
Who you are and how you like to work:
- You care about polish and adding value to our users but not perfectionism for perfectionism’s sake
- You love working collaboratively with different disciplines and learning from others
- You are an expert who stays curious with a beginner’s mindset
- You are a thoughtful communicator and collaborator and work to gain consensus with your peers and stakeholders, but you’re not afraid to speak up
- You want to win, but prefer to win as a team
- You are proactive
- You are thoughtful and open about your priorities, goals, and aspirations so we can help you achieve them
- You have specific passions outside of work
Valuable experiences and skills you’ll bring to smlXL
- You have strong CS fundamentals, and understanding of how things work “lower down the stack"
- You have experience working with React to create performant web applications
- You explore and investigate different technological solutions and love learning
- You have doven deep into how browsers and V8 work—with a solid understanding of how it all works under the hood
- You know when to implement something yourself vs importing a bloated library
- You have a passion for design and a solid understanding of UX principles
Benefits and Support
- Generous home office equipment reimbursement
- Comprehensive health benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- Flexible working hours and unlimited time off with approval
- Gender neutral parental leave program for primary and secondary caregivers
- Competitive salary and equity compensation with 401K retirement plan options
- A remote working environment with quarterly opportunities for international travel to get to know your teammates
- Physical, Mental and Financial Wellbeing applications are provided at little to no cost, including fertility benefits, fitness classes, mental health, physical therapy, and healthcare apps (One Medical)
- We encourage, support, and make time for our team members to invest in side projects and community projects
Please let smlXL know that you found this job role on CryptoJobs.gg