Principal Security Engineer
About the job
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Security
In the emerging industry of digital assets, there is nothing more important than trust (which is why Gemini’s very first hires were Security experts). The Gemini Security team forms the backbone of all that we do and is as diverse as the number of challenges we tackle in the crypto space. From security architecture and engineering to maintenance of cold storage systems and data centers to cybersecurity and litigation support, our team ensures that our customers, clients, and employees are safe, secure, and supported.
The Role: Principal Security Engineer, Application Security
As a member of the Application Security (AppSec) team, you will share in the responsibility of protecting the company and our customers against application security threats. The AppSec team is focused on the advancement of modern application security and supports the engineering organization by finding, fixing, and preventing software security vulnerabilities.
As a Principal Security Engineer, operational tasks are varied and will require involvement in multiple security disciplines. This may include improving the security experience for customers, developing secure libraries, reviewing software designs, and working closely within the security organization as well as other engineering teams.
- Design and deliver solutions that solve real-world security problems
- Collaborate with engineering teams to educate them on threats and vulnerabilities applicable to Gemini’s platform.
- Perform security assessments of Gemini’s platform, which includes our web application, mobile application, and infrastructure, and protocols associated with supporting a growing list of cryptocurrencies.
- Participate in application architecture design
- Perform security-focused code reviews
- Assist teams in finding and fixing application security vulnerabilities
- Assist in the development of security processes and automated tooling that prevent classes of security issues (ie., SSRF, broken AuthZ, etc.)
- Support our bug bounty and vulnerability disclosure program
- Testing the efficacy of our security controls
- At least 8 years of experience in application security, serving as an expert advisor to development teams, leading security teams and mentoring staff, and improving security processes
- Expertise with common security testing methodologies
- Familiarity and ability to explain common security flaws and ways to address them
- Strong understanding and experience with common security libraries, security controls, and common security flaws
- Experience with automated or otherwise highly scalable application security solutions
- Experience with building and customizing tools
- Experience with Scala (or Java) and Python
- Ability to accurately weigh security risks against business operations and goals
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in a team
- Experience in cloud native environments
- Experience securing mobile applications and infrastructure
- Published or presented security research
- Stays up to date with AppSec community via local security chapters and/or reading AppSec-focused blogs such as https://boringappsec.substack.com/ and https://tldrsec.com/
It Pays to Work Here
The Compensation & Benefits Package For This Role Includes
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $198,000 - $277,000 in New York City, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.Register to Apply
Please let Gemini know that you found this job role on CryptoJobs.gg